Thunderace EFI - Day 2 using MSExtra 3.0.3s

Finally a day off work, and a little play again, as I needed to sort out the irregular slightly lumpy idle. Once I reloaded the MicroSquirt with the last running settings from Day 1 few weeks ago, I managed a start, but I need to tweak the cranking pulses, as it took a little bit of brake cleaner to get it going.

Once I did and after the passage of time, I began to think the idle fault was an air leak in the induction system. The quickest way to test this, is to put your hand over each throttle body and choke the engine, if they all die at the same rate, it's unlikely to be one, but on doing cylinder 2, I got a hissing sound.

Further investigation showed it had no pilot or idle screw, as it had been used as a sample perhaps for the new batch that were made, as part of my idle screw replacement kit. It was close on three years ago...that's my excuse! 

Once I got the engine warm, I realised the air temperature and coolant sensing had switched, so it was affecting the fuelling and advance, so no wonder I had problems with the timing light. It is a software fault with the alpha code I am using, that I was not aware of, so hopefully it won't be there when I upgrade to 3.0.3t. Once I had eliminated all the temperature corrections, I balanced the throttle bodies, because I had replaced the idle screw now, and I found 1 & 2 were out with respect to 3 & 4.

I have now got the bike running nicely (on the centre stand) using "untimed injection" (or batch injection), and "semi sequential". Both of these do not need a cam sensor, but have different fuelling algorithms. The bike sounds good and revs nicely in "untimed injection" mode, but the "semi sequential" mode needs a little more work, and it looks like I might be altering the OEM advance degrees...the figures in the black box, as you can hear a roughness at around 4K, although it's only revving to 6500 in this test on part throttle. There is another bug with this mode which is apparently a double fuelling glitch, but it seems I also have to alter the Acceleration Wizard quite a bit in semi sequential, and I now have to do some more reading to understand this, and the bug symptoms.

Thunderace Running Day 2

I am well impressed with the Thunderace conversion so far, it's just unfortunate the neighbours are too close, and I am working tomorrow, otherwise I would be further down the line, by the end of the weekend, although I have uploaded the latest Alpha, 3.0.3t, into the MicroSquirt and started looking at the settings some more.